A VET has outlined the dangers of dog fouling after a resident complained about mess in residential areas of Uttoxeter.
James Russell, who runs a practice in Ashbourne and sits on Uttoxeter Town Council, has called on dog owners to protect the town’s streets and green spaces by picking up after their dogs.
His comments come after New Road resident Mick Harper wrote to the council to complain about fouling.
He said: “Recently there have been some big messes between New Road and the bus shelter at the bottom of Grange Road.
“I happen to know that a lady whose eye sight is not too good uses that bus stop and it would not be nice for her if she happened to tread in it.”
Councillor Russell said: “As the fouling is taking place on land over which the council has no jurisdiction, I feel our role must be in educating people of the dangers dog fouling can present.
“There is really nasty bacteria in dog foul, including e-coli, and this particularly puts children at risk.
“A recent study showed around 25 per cent of cases of round worm in children comes from dog foul.
“I’d advise all dog owners to make sure they worm their animals with proper vetinerary medicine.
“And, as a resident of the town, I’d say we’ve got a lot of lovely public spaces and we need to keep them that way.
“In any park in the UK, when you set down to have a picnic, there’s a high chance you’re sitting on worm eggs.
“So that threat doesn’t leave even when the mess has broken down and degraded.
“It’s not much effort to pick up after your dog and there are dog litter bins for that very purpose.
“I’d also urge residents not to be afraid to challenge people they see not picking up after their dog.”