08:22 Wednesday 15 January 2014

Uttoxeter 31, Market Drayton 19


UTTOXETER claimed their first victory of 2014 as they completed the double over Market Drayton.

Uttoxeter were without top points scorer Paul Milward, with James Williams rushed back from recovery to make an early return to the club, filling the scrum-half role.

The hosts took the lead after five minutes with a well struck penalty from winger Aaron Lakin.

Five minutes later the Oldfields outfit extended their advantage. Uttoxeter pushed into Drayton’s 22 with Jake Cabrera taking contact.

Laurence Paull and Dave Chell rucked out. Richard Ufton and Steve Woolley then took the ball on again as Uttoxeter retained possession – and the ball was spun out wide.

With a four-man overlap lock Bruce Mustard latched onto a Henry Knox off-load and dived over the line. Lakin failed to add the extras.

In reply Market Drayton pushed back into Uttoxeter’s half on a few occasions but the hosts held firm.

Winger James Gill intercepted a Drayton pass just inside the opposition half and popped inside to Craig Goodall,

He fed Williams who knock-on with the try-line at his mercy.

Uttoxeter scored one final try in the half. Knox released Gill up the left.

The winger beat the first defender for pace and then chipped over the final man into the corner.

Lewis Bain won the foot race and the ball was recycled, and popped out to onrushing captain Pete Allen who smashed through a defender to touch down. Lakin added the extras for a 15 - 0 lead going into the break.

Drayton opened the scoring in the second half as they scored a converted try of their own when their centre broke through.

Ten minutes later Uttoxeter scored their final try of the match. Drayton failed to find touch with a penalty and Uttoxeter fielded, with Ben Gallimore returning the kick deep.

The visitors fluffed a clearance and Lakin picked up. Swift hands ensured the ball found its way to Tom Sherratt who sprinted up the right wing, beating a defender for pace before touching the ball down under the posts. Lakin added the extras to make the score 22-7.

Aaron Lakin added his second penalty five minutes later to increase the hosts’ advantage.

Uttoxeter got into Drayton’s 22 again and with an overlap looked certain to score.

However, Drayton’s centre read the play well and intercepted. He then sprinted into Uttoxeter’s half and headed for the corner before being brought down by winger Gill who stopped a certain try.

Drayton remained camped in Uttoxeter’s 22 for the next 10 minutes.

The pressure paid off for the visitors, who crossed the line with a pushover try from a scrum.

Drayton were denied the extras by a dubious decision from the touch judge under the posts to keep the gap at 13 points.

The visitors then had a player sin-binned for disagreeing with the referee and Lakin converted the resultant penalty to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Drayton scored their third try following a break down Uttoxeter’s right.

Uttoxeter then had Bain sin-binned for an infringement inside Uttoxeter’s 22.

Drayton made full use of Bain’s dismissal and sent the ball wide to score a converted try adn reduce the gap to nine points.

Lakin added his fourth and final penalty to take his personal points tally up to 16 as he rounded off an excellent display with the boot – with six successful kicks out of seven.

Drayton continued to attack and again got into Uttoxeter’s 22. But a knock-on denied the visitors a final try and a potential bonus point, as they left Uttoxeter empty handed.

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo

Latest News

Latest Sport

Today's Features