08:00 Wednesday 26 February 2014

SLIDESHOW: Uttoxeter 42, Yardley & District 15


UTTOXETER racked up their biggest winning margin of the season in Saturday’s 42-15 mauling of rock bottom Yardley and District.

The hosts kicked off and exerted early pressure on the visitors.

Uttoxeter’s front row of Richard Ufton, match-day captain Steve Woolley and Dan Meads put on a big drive and won a scrum against the head.

Milward took possession and ran left. He weaved his way forward before being brought down just a few metres short.

Jack Conlon and Jim Holmes were able to ruck out, creating fast ball, and flanker Jake Cabrera then picked and crashed over the line through the cover to open the scoring.

Milward added the extras to give Uttoxeter a 7-0 lead.

Lewis Bain scored Uttoxeter’s second from a line-out on the right. Conlon broke through and was brought down in midfield.

The ball was spun out with Henry Knox taking contact in midfield. Dave Chell and Bruce Mustard secured possession.

Yardley left a gap on the blind-side and Milward picked and went, drawing a man before popping out to Lewis Bain who sprinted the final 15 metres. Milward again converted.

Cabrera added his second in similar fashion to his first. Once again he picked and went from short range, diving over the line close to the posts.

Yardley struck back with a penalty to get on the scoreboard at 21-3.

Uttoxeter thought they had secured the bonus point just before half-time when winger James Gill was denied a try.

Bruce Mustard popped the ball off the top of the line-out.

Swift hands saw Tom Sherratt take possession and break through the line. He span out to Gill only for the referee to call a forward pass.

Sherratt came close to scoring early on in the second half. A hasty clearance kick was fielded by Gill who put Sherratt in a gap.

The centre stormed for the corner only to be bundled into touch a few metres short of the line.

Milward crossed the line first in the second half to give Uttoxeter the bonus points.

Yardley cleared from their own 22 and Uttoxeter took a quick line-out, catching Yardley off guard.

Ben Gallimore drew a man and the ball was sent through hands. James Williams put Sherratt into a gap and again the centre was brought down just short of the line.

Knox picked and went but was brought down before Yardley were penalised for killing the ball.

Milward then spotted a gap on the left. The scrum-half took the quick tap and ran open, slicing through the defence to touch down for a self converted try to make the score 28-3.

Yardley then scored two tries in quick succession reduce the gap to 28-15.

The visitors’ first try was scored through their pack with a series of pick and goes from the ruck.

Yardley’s second try was scored from a line-out, with the ball spun off the top and swift hands from their backs saw their winger released in the corner.

Any hopes Yardley had of an unlikely victory were put to bed when centre Henry Knox added Uttoxeter’s fifth try.

Yardley had attempted to run from deep inside their own half when a pass failed to find its intended target.

Knox pounced and the young centre hacked on a loose ball before scooping it up to sprint the final 30 metres to run in under the posts.

Uttoxeter’s final try belonged to the home pack. The scrum had looked good all day and Uttoxeter were awarded one 15 metres out.

Woolley hooked and Jack Conlon controlled the ball perfectly at the back as Uttoxeter edged forward.

With the ball a metre short of the line Conlon looked set to touch down, but Yardley broke their bind and came offside to disrupt the scrum – gifting the hosts a penalty try. Milward kicked the extras.

Sherrat was again denied a try when he was brought down just a foot short of the line. He touched down with an outstretched arm, but the referee was unable to tell if the ball had been grounded.

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo

Latest News

Latest Sport

Today's Features