Login Register

Rocester 0, Walsall Wood 0

By UttoxeterPostandTimes.3522974.UttoxeterPostandTimes  |  Posted: April 09, 2014

Comments (0)

ROCESTER controlled Tuesday night’s match against last season’s FA Vase quarter-finalists Walsall Wood – but their lack of firepower left them with just a point following a goalless stalemate.

The Romans enjoyed the lion’s share of chances, but despite coming the width of the crossbar away from taking victory, were unable to break the deadlock.

Dan Brown had an early opportunity, but lost his footing as he tried to round the visiting keeper, allowing Shaun Boote to clear.

Tom Ellerton did well to turn and fire off a shot which flew narrowly wide, while Liam Shaw had two decent headed opportunities.

First, his looping effort was tipped over for a corner, before a powerful header ricocheted out for another flag kick.

Aside from Corey Currithers’ shot across the bows and Boote’s wayward header, the visitors found chances hard to come by in the opening half an hour, before they gradually began to peg the Romans back.

Despite the increased pressure, Rocester still had the better chances to open the scoring.

Aaron Dillon cut inside and fired into the side-netting. Ellerton then had a shot tipped over, before Brown saw his attempt on goal deflect into the keeper’s hands.

It was a similar story after the interval. Brown broke clear only for Lee Stretton to race across and intercept.

At the other end Dillon made a similarly important interception to deny Andre Gonzales.

Richard Froggatt faced his first real test on 64 minutes when he tipped over Drew Aiton’s speculative effort.

Only the woodwork prevented Nick Ward from putting Rocester ahead when his header thudded against the bar eight minutes later.

The Romans had a couple of strong handball appeals in the box but the referee, the wonderfully named Justice Jacobs, gave the defence the benefit of the doubt on both occasions.

Rocester had another golden opportunity three minutes from time when Brown raced clear and unleashed a powerful shot towards the near post.

But visiting keeper Dale Faultless lived up to his name with a solid stop.

Brown saw another chance go begging in stoppage time when his effort was blocked while George Barlow struck the loose ball well over.

Wood were reduced to 10 men when David Carns received a second yellow, but it came too late for the Romans to capitalise.

ROMANS: Froggatt, Dillon, Allen, Whalley (Upton 86), Ward, Wain, Wilson, Barlow, Shaw (Lawrence 73), Brown, Ellerton.

WOOD: Faultless, Deakin, Hancox (Boyce-Taylor 55), Boote (Stretton 45), Carns, Cooper, Currithers (Rock 34), Swann, Taylor, Aiton, Gonzales. Subs not Used: Hawkins, Harris.

REFEREE: J Jacobs (Stafford).


Read more from Uttoxeter News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters