Login Register

The Parks - Uttoxeter restaurant is under threat for a third time

By Uttoxeter Post and Times  |  Posted: August 01, 2014

By Jenny Moody

Comments (0)

"WE will fight this every step of the way" said the owners of a Uttoxeter restaurant after it was revealed it is at risk of being razed to the ground – for a THIRD time.

Paul and Helen Wood have vowed to fight for the Parks Restaurant, in New Road, after the Northern Trust Company Limited appealed against East Staffordshire Borough Council's planning committee's decision to reject plans to rip down the pub and build 28 homes on the land.

The plans were dismissed back in February but since then the pub owners have had to also fight to change plans for the A50 growth corridor, which originally went through the building.

Mrs Wood said they were informed about the appeal, which will be decided by the Government planning inspector, after finding it on the council's website.

She said: "The planning application was for 28 houses but it was rejected as it is a restaurant and the other problem was with the access at the top of the drive.

"However, plans for the A50 sees the A522 come across the bottom of the car park meaning that the 28 houses won't fit here any more."

“It would need to be a completely different application. The first application was only outline but some of the houses were where the A522 will run.

“It feels like we are quietly moving from one battle to another. We have told the staff what is going on but we just don’t want them all getting other jobs as they are worried about the future.

“We have got weddings booked for next year and we don’t want this to shake people’s confidence in our business.”

The couple has been running the pub since 2011 after it has been closed down and they transformed a once struggling pub into a thriving business and even continued to grow throughout the recession.

They are now determined to keep it open and not let this latest step back get in their way.

Mrs Wood said: “We are gutted this is happening again but we are determined to fight it. We are not going to sit back and let this happen to us. We will fight it every step of the way. It is not only our business but it is also our home.

“As far as we are concerned it is a secure business and we are not backing out of a fight. We don’t want anyone to be affected by it.

“We would ask people to please lodge any concerns or comments with East Staffordshire Borough Council’s planning department as that is the best way to do it

“As far as we are concerned it is business as usual and we will keep delivering a business for the foreseeable future. Our plan is to continue here as long as we are able to.”

Anyone who wants to view the application and lodge their concerns is asked to visit East Staffordshire Borough Council’s website and looking for planning application P/2012/00932. 

Read more from Uttoxeter News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES