AN elderly woman had to be rescued from a house fire in Abbots Bromley last week.
The woman, who is in her 70s, was rescued from her Newton Hurst Lane home on Friday. Firefighters from Abbots Bromley, Rugeley and Stafford were called to the property at 7.11pm.
The pensioner was still inside the house when firefighters arrived and had to be led to safety. A fire was in progress in the living room involving the sofa and some clothing.
Station manager Jim Bywater said: “It was a relatively small fire however there was a lot of smoke and the entire house was heavily smoke logged. Firefighters dealt with the fire whilst paramedics treated the woman for smoke inhalation; she was taken to hospital for further treatment as a precaution.
“Smoke alarms had alerted the woman to the fire but she had not managed to get out. The alarms are also linked to First Call which automatically alerted them as well.
“It appears the woman had been drying clothing too close to an electric fire and these items caught fire. It was lucky that we were alerted when we were as given the amount of smoke in the house, we could have been dealing with a fatal fire had we not had the early warning, and that is thanks to working smoke alarms. We would urge people to ensure they don’t place any combustible materials, such as clothing and furniture, too close to fires or heaters.
“We would urge people to take the necessary precautions to stay safe from fire in their home.”
Help and advice is available by phoning 0800 0241 999 for free.