THE fire service covering Uttoxeter has been handing out advice on the use of bio-ethanol burners following a fatal fire which claimed the life of a popular town resident.
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Authority has seen members receive briefings on the use of the burners and the risk they pose following the death of Lisa Oldham at her home in Wood Lane on June 13 this year.
It was revealed as part of Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Authority Periodic Report which is set to be discussed by councillors as part of Staffordshire County Council’s full council meeting at 10am tomorrow at the County Buildings, in Stafford.
The report states that following the fire, firefighters offered nearby residents free Home Fire Risk Checks and the service produced a press release to offer advice on the safe use of the burners and the risks.
It states: “Bio-ethanol burners have been used in America and the fire and rescue service there had sent out warning notices.
“Details of the fire have been shared across the country and a full case conference will be held on the incident.” It reveals that The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has been informed of the incident and the service has been engaging with the Trading Standards Department to ensure these products meet safety standards.
Speaking of the incident in which Mrs Oldham died, the report said: “The service was called out to a fatal fire in a detached property at Wood Lane, Uttoxeter, on June 13, 2012.
“It was believed that the fire started accidentally after the lady’s clothing came into contact with a bioethanol burner which was in use at the property. The incident was subject to a coroner’s inquest.” Mrs Oldham passed away at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, in Birmingham, after bravely battling for life following severe burns for more than a week.