ALTON Towers has released new details of its new world-first rollercoaster The Smiler.
The resort says the ride – the most expensive in the theme park’s history – will ‘marmalise the minds of riders to give them a thrill like no other’.
Not only will the ride involve plunging 30-metre drops, hurtling speeds of up to 85km per hour and extreme turns, but The Smiler will also feature ‘twisted psychological effects to mess with riders’ minds’.
John Wardley, a ride consultant at Alton Towers Resort, said: “We know people get a thrill when they ride roller-coasters, but in order to heighten that feeling of excitement we needed to design a roller-coaster that also incorporates a variety of mental cues.
“The Smiler will be different from other traditional coasters in that it will combine intense physical effects to put the body through its paces, along with the unique mental elements to mess with the mind.
“After riding the coaster they will have experienced full mind and body marmalisation.”
The resort said that riders will be subjected to five mind manipulations including jabbing needles, blinding lights and optical illusions, to maximise the fear factor.
The Smiler’s five mind manipulations will be:
• The Inoculator (A jab of happiness as you pass by stage one of the marmalisation process)
• The Tickler (Aims to tickle you until you can’t resist smiling)
• The Flasher (A giant flashing device, blinding you as you hurtle underneath the leg)
• The Giggler (Infectious, intoxicating laughing gas)
• The Hypnotiser (Has the power to disorientate, mesmerize and disrupt your self-awareness)
The Smiler will be Alton Towers Resort’s biggest ever investment and will feature a track the length of 10 football fields, 30-metre drops and speeds of up to 85km per hour.
The Smiler is due to open at Alton Towers in May. More details on the rollercoaster can be found at www.the-smiler.com