Login Register

MATCH REPORT: Uttoxeter Town res 2, Cheadle Town res 2

By UttoxeterPostandTimes.3522974.UttoxeterPostandTimes  |  Posted: March 18, 2014

Comments (0)

UTTOXETER Town reserves matched their first-team counterparts by winning the league cup in their SCSL debut season.

Dean and Rob Arnold's men travelled to Nortons Autonet Stadium to face local rivals Cheadle in confident mood after producing some fine results in recent weeks but it was Cheadle who had the perfect opportunity to take the lead with only two minutes on the clock.

A tame effort appeared to hit defender Dom Ward on the chest but the referee pointed to the spot allowing Dave Brown the chance to give his side an early lead.

The former Rocester defender placed his penalty well to the left of keeper Adam Hilton but the Town No1 produced a wonderful full-length save to tip the ball onto the upright and to safety.

It served to give Town a lift and Jon Lamburn and Tom Harvey were soon causing the Cheadle defence all sorts of trouble with their movement.

With 15 minutes on the clock Uttoxeter took the lead with a superb goal.

A long clearance seemed harmless enough but Harvey made a nuisance of himself and the ball fell loose 25 yards from goal.

The young striker, who has been key to the success Town reserves have enjoyed this season, unleashed a fine left-footed strike over the keeper to delight the Uttoxeter support.

The half wore on with Cheadle trying hard to get back into the game but Town's back four were in commanding form, Ward in particular dominating on the floor and in the air.

With Glyn Douglas, Rob Weston and Ryan Metcalfe all competing well in midfield Liam Dyche was providing a fine outlet on the right for Uttoxeter.

The second half saw Cheadle again come at Town but as the half wore on there were more and more opportunities for Uttoxeter on the counter as they continued to compete well for every ball.

Captain Lamburn was leading by example in attack and with Metcalfe dominating midfield it would not be long before the lead was extended and with 12 minutes to go substitute Evan Richardson made the game safe.

Douglas and Metcalfe combined, allowing the latter space to slide in Richardson with a perfectly weighted pass and the youngster made no mistake, lashing the ball in at the near post from 18 yards.

It was a fine win for Uttoxeter's hard-working youngsters and with a healthy league position and another semi-final may not be the end of the silverware for them this season.

Read more from Uttoxeter News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters