Watson progresses in Auckland
Heather Watson ensured a winning start for British sport in 2013 by overcoming fifth seed Sorana Cirstea in the first round of the ASB Classic in Auckland.
The 20-year-old played her part in the success story that was 2012 by becoming the first Briton to win a WTA singles title since 1998, and here she won the first set 6-3 before her Romanian opponent was forced to retire because of illness.
The British number one will face Kiki Bertens of Holland in the next round.
- Checkley claim winning draw at 2011 champs Wood Lane
- Uttoxeter extend winning run to eight games
- Coronation Street star joins Marge at Amerton Farm
- Uttoxeter's three-tier school system risks being 'de-stablised'
- Jess named fourth in Miss England competition
- Visual arts exhibition showcased pupils work