Watson ousted in Brisbane
British number three Heather Watson suffered a straight-sets defeat to ninth seed Dominika Cibulkova in the first round of the Brisbane International on Monday.
The Guernsey-born 21-year-old, ranked 121 in the world after a troubled end to the 2013 season during which she was diagnosed with glandular fever, had battled through qualifying to reach the main draw at the hardcourt event, but was no match for Cibulkova.
The world number 23 from Slovakia prevailed 6-4 6-3 to secure a second-round meeting with Japanese veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm.
- St Modwen takes next step for 700 homes plan in Uttoxeter
- Thomas Alleyne's told it must do better by Ofsted
- 365-home scheme branded 'crazy' by Uttoxeter residents
- 'Double whammy' fears over Stone Road change
- Runners urged to sign up to Uttoxeter Half Marathon
- Jobless total fell 10% across Uttoxeter in March