Watson ousted in Brisbane
British number three Heather Watson suffered a straight-sets defeat to ninth seed Dominika Cibulkova in the first round of the Brisbane International on Monday.
The Guernsey-born 21-year-old, ranked 121 in the world after a troubled end to the 2013 season during which she was diagnosed with glandular fever, had battled through qualifying to reach the main draw at the hardcourt event, but was no match for Cibulkova.
The world number 23 from Slovakia prevailed 6-4 6-3 to secure a second-round meeting with Japanese veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm.
- 365-home scheme branded 'crazy' by Uttoxeter residents
- Thomas Alleyne's told it must do better by Ofsted
- St Modwen takes next step for 700 homes plan in Uttoxeter
- Call for more out of hours doctors in Uttoxeter
- Nicholas abandons Carter's Square jobs hope to move to China
- John White and Rob Walker shine at Trent Raceway