Watson ousted in Brisbane
British number three Heather Watson suffered a straight-sets defeat to ninth seed Dominika Cibulkova in the first round of the Brisbane International on Monday.
The Guernsey-born 21-year-old, ranked 121 in the world after a troubled end to the 2013 season during which she was diagnosed with glandular fever, had battled through qualifying to reach the main draw at the hardcourt event, but was no match for Cibulkova.
The world number 23 from Slovakia prevailed 6-4 6-3 to secure a second-round meeting with Japanese veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm.
- Former leader responds to ousting as rebels deny they acted out of revenge
- Bovine TB outbreak at village farm near Uttoxeter
- Uttoxeter's bull statue is again targeted
- Housing funding to be cut
- Harry Topper set to make Midlands Grand National switch
- Peter of Tesco Express in Uttoxeter gets his legs waxed for diabetes research