Robson return cut short
British number one Laura Robson's return to tennis at the Hobart International was ended when she retired from her first-round match against Yanina Wickmayer due to injury.
Robson was playing her first match of the season after a wrist problem forced her out of the ASB Classic in Auckland.
The 19-year-old won the first set 6-4 but, after serving a double fault to gift her Belgian opponent an early break in the second, she pulled out of the match.
It is a further setback for Robson ahead of the Australian Open, which gets under way in her birth city of Melbourne on January 13.
Prior to the match, Robson had told the tournament's official website: "It's going to be my first match for 2014, so I'm very excited.
"I haven't played a match so I don't know how it is going to end up, but in practice it feels okay."
A post on the tournament's official Twitter feed then indicated Robson's injury was a recurrence of the previous problem.
It read: "The official reason for Robson's mid-match retirement today was her wrist."
- 365-home scheme branded 'crazy' by Uttoxeter residents
- Thomas Alleyne's told it must do better by Ofsted
- St Modwen takes next step for 700 homes plan in Uttoxeter
- Call for more out of hours doctors in Uttoxeter
- John White and Rob Walker shine at Trent Raceway
- Crowds gather for Night at the Proms in Uttoxeter