Man rearrested in Pc death probe
A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after an off-duty police officer was killed by a single punch.
Police and emergency services were called to a report of an assault in Castle Street, Edgeley, Stockport, at 1.20am on Sunday January 20, where Pc Gareth Francis was found with a serious head injury.
The 28-year-old had been walking home after being dropped off by taxi following a night out in Manchester with friends when he was attacked.
Paramedics treated him at the scene and he was taken by ambulance to Stepping Hill Hospital but died shortly afterwards.
A post-mortem examination concluded that Pc Francis died from a head injury following a single punch.
Two men, aged 21 and 20, were arrested on suspicion of murder and bailed until March 5 and March 7 respectively.
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said: "The 20-year-old man has now been rearrested, this time on suspicion of manslaughter, and remains in police custody for questioning."
Anyone with information is asked to call GMP's Major Incident Team on 0161 856 9283 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- Former leader responds to ousting as rebels deny they acted out of revenge
- Bovine TB outbreak at village farm near Uttoxeter
- Uttoxeter's bull statue is again targeted
- Housing funding to be cut
- Picknalls teacher inspired by pupils to run London Marathon for The Epilepsy Society
- Uttoxeter charity gets a new facelift with a little help from Tesco and VAST