Lib Dems win Eastleigh by-election
The Liberal Democrats have won the Eastleigh by-election, with the Conservatives pushed into third place by a late surge from the UK Independence Party.
Local councillor Michael Thornton held on to the seat vacated by disgraced ex-Cabinet minister Chris Huhne - polling 13,342 votes.
Ukip's candidate Diane James was second on 11,571 - more than 1,000 ahead of Tory Maria Hutchings (10,559) in a severe blow to Prime Minister David Cameron.
- Checkley claim winning draw at 2011 champs Wood Lane
- Uttoxeter extend winning run to eight games
- Coronation Street star joins Marge at Amerton Farm
- Uttoxeter's three-tier school system risks being 'de-stablised'
- Jess named fourth in Miss England competition
- Visual arts exhibition showcased pupils work