Joy for Nadal in Qatar
Rafael Nadal enjoyed the ideal preparation for the Australian Open as he beat Gael Monfils to win the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha.
The world number one had looked short of his best in the build-up to the final, but he simply blew Monfils away during the opening set, which he took 6-1 after just 23 minutes.
But Frenchman Monfils bravely rallied in the second set, and led 3-0 at one point before edging a tie-breaker 7/5.
A thrilling final set had been in prospect, but when Nadal broke early in the decider he ruthlessly marched away to take a 6-1 6-7 (5/7) 6-2 victory and claim his 61st career title.
It also marks the first time the Spaniard has won the first tournament he has entered in a calendar year.
- Former leader responds to ousting as rebels deny they acted out of revenge
- Bovine TB outbreak at village farm near Uttoxeter
- Uttoxeter's bull statue is again targeted
- Housing funding to be cut
- Picknalls teacher inspired by pupils to run London Marathon for The Epilepsy Society
- Uttoxeter charity gets a new facelift with a little help from Tesco and VAST