Joy for Nadal in Qatar
Rafael Nadal enjoyed the ideal preparation for the Australian Open as he beat Gael Monfils to win the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha.
The world number one had looked short of his best in the build-up to the final, but he simply blew Monfils away during the opening set, which he took 6-1 after just 23 minutes.
But Frenchman Monfils bravely rallied in the second set, and led 3-0 at one point before edging a tie-breaker 7/5.
A thrilling final set had been in prospect, but when Nadal broke early in the decider he ruthlessly marched away to take a 6-1 6-7 (5/7) 6-2 victory and claim his 61st career title.
It also marks the first time the Spaniard has won the first tournament he has entered in a calendar year.
- 365-home scheme branded 'crazy' by Uttoxeter residents
- Thomas Alleyne's told it must do better by Ofsted
- St Modwen takes next step for 700 homes plan in Uttoxeter
- Call for more out of hours doctors in Uttoxeter
- Nicholas abandons Carter's Square jobs hope to move to China
- Indiscipline will not be tolerated: Rocester boss Dave Shaw