Government and FA ponder response
The Football Association and the Government will await further developments from Serbian authorities before deciding how to respond to charges against two England Under-21 players and a coach.
Serbian police have submitted charges against two unnamed members of the side and one of the backroom team following their stormy Euro 2013 qualifier in Krusevac earlier this month.
A British government spokesman said: "Serbian police have announced that they have submitted charges against two England players and an assistant coach to the public prosecutor following an incident at the England-Serbia under-21 football match in Serbia this month. We are investigating the full details of these charges before considering our response."
The spokesman added they were seeking clarity over the charges and their ramifications. They said they had not been informed of the names of the individuals concerned and were awaiting formal communication.
Their statement added: "We are in contact with the British Government for advice, as well as speaking with our colleagues at UEFA."
The FA have nothing to add beyond a statement issued on Tuesday when reports of the police charges first emerged.
The match against Serbia on October 16 was marred by allegations of racist chanting towards England players and by violent scuffles after the final whistle. The police charges are now being considered by authorities in Serbia.
European governing body UEFA have said the police action will not affect their own investigation.
UEFA launched disciplinary proceedings in the aftermath of the match, charging the FA over the behaviour of their players and their Serbian counterparts (FSS) with the same and for the alleged racist chanting.
A UEFA spokesperson said: "UEFA's control and disciplinary body will meet on November 22 to deal with this case and take a decision."