Cav sprints to road race glory
Mark Cavendish won a sprint finish to claim his first National Road Race Championship in Glasgow.
The Manx rider overtook David Millar on the home straight and held off the challenge of Ian Stannard, who recovered from a puncture in the penultimate lap to claim silver.
Millar had attacked in the final stages after a four-man leading group had emerged in the ninth of 14 laps of the circuit around Glasgow's city centre and west end but the Scot could not get far enough ahead of Cavendish to negate the Omega Pharma Quickstep rider's famed sprinting ability.
Peter Kennaugh missed out on a medal after falling behind in the very late stages before the finish in Glasgow Green.
- Former leader responds to ousting as rebels deny they acted out of revenge
- Bovine TB outbreak at village farm near Uttoxeter
- Uttoxeter's bull statue is again targeted
- Housing funding to be cut
- Keera from Uttoxeter is 'top dog' for her breed at Crufts
- Abbotsholme wow audiences in Rocester with production