IF you’re under pressure to cook up a storm over the festive season and want to offer family and friends some new and delicious dishes to taste, Garner’s, known for its homemade taste and trademark crunch, has a fabulous range of recipes.
Everyone’s favourite pickles can help add a bit of zing to the tiresome turkey buffet or jazz up the traditional sit-down meal.
So whether you want a new starter idea, or an alternative to turkey, pickled onion lovers are in for a real treat this year!
You will need:
150g Garners pickled shallots, drained
15mls rapeseed oil
4 venison steaks
150g button mushrooms
A few sprigs of thyme
4 tbsps redcurrant jelly
1 small glass red wine
Freshly milled black pepper and a light pinch of salt
1. Quickly pan-fry venison in oil for six minutes, depending on thickness, over a medium high heat, searing both sides but retaining tenderness within.
2. Season with pepper and allow to rest by wrapping in foil and keeping warm in a low oven.
3. Add mushrooms to same pan and sauté, with a further drizzle of oil if necessary. Add pickled shallots and sauté for two more minutes. Add thyme and season.
4. Deglaze pan with jelly and wine. Bring to the boil to simmer all the juices and combine flavours. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Serve venison on heated plates with sauce spooned over.
For further inspiration ahead of the festive season, visit the website at www.pickledonionlovers.com